website 2

What type of accommodation does the ANU provide?

The ANU offers a range of facilities for student accommodation. They vary in price, location within Canberra and the level of service offered. A full list is available to view here.

It is also important to note the ANU offers’ an accommodation guarantee to some incoming students – including exchange student and international students. See if this applies to you here!

Where are the best suburbs close to the campus to live?

There are many different reasons to live in any suburb in Canberra; price, access to services, house size etc. For practicality, we assume a medium budget and a desire to live relatively close to the ANU campus. The suburbs of O’Connor, Turner and Reid are directly next to the Campus which is in the suburb of Acton. However Ainslie, Braddon, Downer, Lyneham, Kaleen and Dickson are no more than a 20 minute commute by bike, car or bus.

With these suburbs being so close, it is very easy to make your way into the Canberra central business district which has a great nightlife, restaurants and entertainment. Each suburb has a ‘local shops’ which will include at the very least a small grocery store, pharmacy, restaurant and bar/pub.

Are there housing options further away?

Absolutely! Canberra is quite spread out, with some suburbs as much as a 40 minute drive away. These suburbs, like Gungahlin and Belconnen to the north and Tuggeranong to the south, can be cheaper while still having good access to public transport and shops.

Follow the Canberra Government Link to have a look at what different areas in our nation’s capital can offer you!

What type of contract do I enter into?

All contracts for housing in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) are regulated by the RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES ACT 1997, which dictates the roles and responsibilities of both the lessor and the tenant. The North American Liaison Office (NALO) recommends a basic understanding of this before entering into a lease, however there are numerous avenues available to assist.

Renting will involve either renting the property directly from the owner, or from a real estate state acting on the owner’s behalf. The contact you sign will have many of the stipulations you may have seen before. A general format including most relevant information you will encounter is found here.

How expensive is it to rent a house, apartment or university lodgings?

The price will vary considerably depending on weather you are looking to rent a room in a share house or apartment, live in a one bedroom apartment, or live on campus.
A three bedroom house in northern central Canberra (nearby to campus) is currently averaging $455/week (AUD)*, with one bedroom apartments closer to $400/week (AUD)*. This will vary with the size and age of the dwelling.

The ANU Halls, Colleges and Lodging Fees for 2016 can be found here.

*Please not that at an exchange rate of $1 AUD/ $.70 USD, rent is $318/week.

How do I find either ANU accommodation or private rental?

Inquiries for accommodation at the ANU should be forwarded to uni.accom@anu.edu.au.

For private rental, web pages such as allhomes.com.au and realestate.com.au are an excellent way to see a wide range of possible housing.

Updated:  20 January 2016/ Responsible Officer:  Director, NALO/ Page Contact:  Director, NALO